Saturday, May 8, 2010

Long Tails and Sharp Fish

This past week I listened to the discussion on the long tail principle, as well as the Fresh Air and Charlie Rose discussions on the iPad and a few bits on social media. I feel somewhat apathetic about the iPad, so the various learning elements mostly just annoyed me. To me, the iPad is much ado about nothing. Based on the various opinions I see on the tech blogs, I am not alone in that opinion. E-readers, on the other hand, especially some of the up and coming ones like the Skiff, are something significant, as the represent a change in the way written media are developed and marketed. The iPad does a number of things okay, but no one thing well, and is, thus, not a true convergence.

One of the more interesting and useful elements this week was the Razorfish report on Social Influence Marketing. The content was exhaustive but quite insightful. When I read the section on user created content, it reminded me of the Current TV channel. On Current, most, if not all, commercials (as well as a significant portion of the actual content) is viewer created. Their Website even features a section to help the user create - and potentially get paid for - ad messages for sponsors. ( http://current.com/participate/vcam/) As indicated in the Razorfish report, the sponsors here recognize that pushing a brand message is ineffective and allows for an interactive and honest communication of the brand with the target market. This is something I would expect to see used increasingly more on other channels.

1 comment:

  1. There are many that agree with your assessment of the iPad. It will be interesting see what happens over the next six months as new devices, like the Skiff become available.

    I think user generated content is interesting, but the role of professionals, in my opinion, will not be diminished much. Many people "think" they can write content, make videos, or play songs as well as professionals, but the reality is quite different. I have watched American Idol for only a few minutes on widely spaced intervals, but the value of talent and classical training are validated for me each time I have watched.

    F.

    ReplyDelete